Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My first day of Canadian classes.

First day of class. Let's cut to the chase, shall we?

Introduction to Fantasy Literature, taught by Mary Keating
I can't say much about this class yet, since the first meeting was only 25 minutes. It's hard to get a gauge on good-or-bad in such a short amount of time and with so little interaction. Either way, the book list seems fun. Lord of the Rings, some Neil Gaiman, and, if there's time, Harry Potter!
Memorable quote: "In terms of bad weather.... hmm. Okay, how about this? Don't risk your life for a class."

Atlantic Canadian Folklore, taught by Ian Brodie
This professor had me laughing with two minutes of entering the room, and it didn't stop there. He has very quick wits and a ruthless sense of humor. I don't think anyone could maintain a surly disposition in this class. He is also a Prince fan, and is jealous of my easy Minnesota access to Paisley Park.
Memorable quote: "I loathe you. I take you outside behind the meat shed and spank you vigorously."
[note: he was addressing his computer, not a student]
And BONUS! In this class, I made friends with Rebecca, a girl from Oregon who also just arrived and will be spending a semester at CBU. Turns out, we have a lot in common! We're having supper tonight with Calgary Kevin, and going to WalMart with Amanda, who we met in a student lounge.

Children's Literature After 1860, taught by Richard Marchand
I also doubt a person could remain sad in this room. My professor is friendly and animated, does a wicked Peter Parley reenactment, and can recite dozens of nursery rhymes at the drop of a hat. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of class and look forward to the next one.
Memorable quote: "We slide into a children's book the same way we slide into comfortable slippers."
[note: this guy was so funny that he gets two memorable quotes]
"You know when Christ said the poor will always be with you? Yeah, well, he should've said the poor and Anne of Green Gables."

Technical Writing, taught by Anna Daniels
In this class, I am a Black Sheep. The vast majority of my classmates are male engineers, all of whom were quite eager to explain CBU Moodle to a newbie. My professor, Anna, is very personable and friendly, and I'm looking forward to working with her.
Memorable quote: "There's this illusion of consensus, but this is really a totalitarian dictatorship in which I commandeer your snacks."

First day: achieved. I'm still adjusting, but starting a routine will help. I know that.

Keep reading!

Love,
Maggie

4 comments:

  1. I'm abnormally excited that you met someone from Calgary, as that is my city. (This is Sheroes-DOMO, btw.)

    Sounds like things are going well so far! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I'm glad you had a (from what it sounds) fabulous first day of classes!!! Sounds like the semester will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a sec...EASY ACCESS TO PAISLEY PARK?!? Do you live near there in MN, or is your prof just jealous because you live closer to it than he does?

    ReplyDelete