Friday, January 7, 2011

A fun-filled Friday.

So here's a taunt for all my American friends: I have no class on Fridays. Absolutely none. This morning, I slept as late as I wished, ate breakfast when I was hungry, and left the campus when the mood struck me. A day of freedom.

I went on a voyage with Becca, Amanda, and Christine today for some room-brightening supplies and post-workout food. I now have an over-the-door hook for my coat, some fake flowers to cheer up my room, and plenty of Nutragrain bars. I also have stories to share about the Bulk Barn.

The image over to the right is not actually the Bulk Barn in Sydney, but the other photographs in this post come directly from today's adventure in this funny, fantastic little store.

The Bulk Barn is the dream of any baker or candy lover on the planet. Every wall is lined with bins of flours, oats, trail mixes, sweet treats, and every other bulk snack you can possibly imagine.

I found massive tubs of baking soda, whey protein, arrowroot flour, three different types of quinoa, and dozens of other interesting grains. There were huge vats of melting chocolate and other fun candies for decorating cookies and cakes. I've never missed my kitchen so much in my life!

This picture is probably my favorite, over here -->
The top row of bins have colored sugars, and every other bin holds a different variety of sprinkles!

You could mix your own colors for graduation parties or athletic team events, or choose the "pre-mixed" types for a festive look. There were different shapes, too: everything from your standard sphere or tuber to circles, stars, and hearts.

I brought back raisins, Honey-Nut Cheerios, and dried bananas to make my own post-workout trail mix. It's probably better that I don't have a kitchen, or else I would've bought everything and made enough bread to feed the entire university.

Also, if you're interested in CURRENT EVENTS, here's an article from the Globe and Mail, Canada's daily newspaper. The consumption of horse meat is a hot topic at the moment in the Great White North. Here's a G&M editorial about the issue. While this particular writer is in favor of eating equines, I don't align myself either way. No hate mail, folks.

That's all for today. Keep reading!

Love,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment