Monday, January 3, 2011

Here I am!

After about 26 hours of travel, I'm safe in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Currently, I'm sitting on my bed in my room in my dorm on my campus after two plane rides, a hotel, and a bus.

PEOPLE I MET

Joanne: seat neighbor on my NSP-NY flight.
Memorable quote: "I'm an interior designer for Lifetime Fitness."

Julie: flight attendant from Cleveland on my MSP-NY flight.
Memorable quote: "Not only are Jane and I your sky princesses, we are also your cleaning wenches."

Julianne: Wisconsin native studying psychology and health in Halifax. Also a gift from Zeus who helped me get a study permit and answered dozens of questions about living in the Great White North.
Memorable quote: "Just fyi... Canadian men are really hot."

Tracey: elementary school teacher from Bermuda who lives in Halifax and offered to drive Julianne and me around when I (eventually) come visit.
Memorable quote: "Here's my advice. Get a job you love, and you'll never work again a day in your life. I get my paycheck, and it's like a bonus every two weeks."

[name unknown]: Cape Breton native on my airport shuttle this morning.
Memorable quote: "Everyone will take you home for supper, but no one is trying to kidnap you. Everyone's just really, really friendly."

[name unknown]: Cape Breton native who drove my taxi to campus.
Memorable quote: "Everyone on this island will talk to you like they already know you. Which, in their mind, they do. Take me, for example."

I also made some buddies on campus when we were taking a bus over to Walmart. Kevin is a Calgary native who's meeting me for breakfast in my dorm, which boasts a cafeteria. Later, we're linking up with Jamie, a girl from Switzerland, and they're going to show me around campus. Wonderful people!

I'm doing pretty well in terms of anxiety. A little twinge here and there, but that's perfectly normal, right? It feels good to have my room settled, and I'm looking forward to classes starting on Wednesday. I'm spending a quiet evening with my blog and some books, recuperating from so much travel.

Happy Monday, everyone! Keep reading!

Love,
Maggie

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're safely where you're supposed to be. Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, happy to hear that all is going 'pretty' well. Am looking forward to keeping up with you expereinces bia your blog.
    What is the weather like there?
    Love, Gran

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey hey! It's so strange to me that we're truly not that far away from each other! I hope you are enjoying your stay in Nova Scotia so far and just know that I am thinking of you and hoping for the best! As I said before, you're not going to find many people who won't help you out, offer you a meal, or stop in the middle of the road so you can cross. This is a rockin' good place. Please keep me updated! Oh and sweet blog by the way.

    Julianne :)

    ReplyDelete