Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A long, unwieldy day.

Today, like most "first days," was a challenge. Sorting through administrative duties and navigating my way around a completely foreign campus with no sense of routine was a little nerve-wracking. Thankfully, I found people to support me and teach me about living here in Sydney.

And so, without further ado, it's time for another round of...

PEOPLE I MET

Kevin: Calgary native who I mentioned yesterday, who graciously showed me around campus all day.
Memorable quote: "You get to know all the other on-campus students pretty quick. There's only like 200 of us."

Anna: fourth-year English student who talked to me about the program at breakfast.
Memorable quote: "Who are your profs? ... Oh, they're wicked! You'll love them!"

Sister Catherine: very sweet nun in the chaplaincy who has offered to be my stand-in grandma for the next four months.
Memorable quote: "Don't you worry, my little dear. Soon, you'll look back on this and feel so silly for being so scared. Until then, you come by and visit whenever you want."

Leona: student worker in the chaplaincy who understands homesickness and gives very good hugs.
Memorable quote: "Don't feel bad about being homesick. I've been there."

Ally: volleyball player who sat with me at supper.
Memorable quote: "I don't know you well enough yet to make fun of your Minnesota accent."

Megan: another volleyball player who sat with me at supper.
Memorable quote: "Yeah, Canadians say 'eh' a lot. Just not as much we're stereotyped to say it. But we do say it."

Paula: my roommate/suite mate/potty mate/fellow House lover.
Memorable quote: "I could introduce you to some of my friends. Maybe this weekend?"

PEOPLE I ALREADY KNEW WHO HAD SAGE ADVICE

Abby: high school buddy who spent the past semester in France.
Memorable quote: "Starting a routine helps a lot. Once you feel comfortable on the campus and you know your way around, it makes a big difference."

Mom: self-explanatory.
Memorable quote: "Just the change is fun and exciting and might give you some GREAT writing material. Think of it as being undercover on assignment for a semester!!"

Dad: self-explanatory.
Memorable quote: "Look what I made for the dog! Dog treat, peanut butter, and her Benadryl!"

Looking back at these quotes, I feel better about my day. I made friends with some new people, Kevin showed me my classes, and the chaplaincy folk have provided a safe place for me if I need it. Even though it was a challenge, I conquered it! I'm alive and well and very much looking forward to classes starting tomorrow.

Also, your comments mean a lot. Thanks for reading, and get excited for tomorrow's report on classes!

Love,
Maggie

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for a wonderful first day. It sounds like you're surrounded by some very wonderful people. Can't wait to hear more, keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta girl! That is just the right attitude! I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete