Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It won't be long before we'll all be there with snow...

Anyone who can name the lyric in the title post gets my respect forever and name recognition on this oh-so-famous blog. Turns out I have a reader in Indonesia and another in Israel! How cool is that?

Today, my folklore professor started class with, "Who's ready for Snowmageddon?" Tonight's storm has been the talk of the town in ol' Nova Scotia for the past day or two. Weather warnings are flying all across the province, but the mainland was hit first. 15,000 people lost power in the Halifax and Bridgewater areas tonight- for more info, check out the CBC article here.

The island has been lucky so far! Here's a shot of Alumni Hall, taken just a few minutes ago. The view is partially obscured by the giant, fluffy snowflakes that are currently melting on my window.

It doesn't look like much, but our sidewalks have essentially disappeared and car owners will be scraping at least six inches of snow off their vehicles tomorrow morning.

Another view from my window. Here's Cabot Hall, which is essentially Alumni's twin. The only difference is the interior: Cabot has only apartments, while Alumni has apartments and traditional dorm rooms. These buildings are both fairly new.

In the distance in both photos, you can see the main campus building(s). Other than the residence halls, most of the other facilities on campus are interconnected by a complicated system that still confuses me from time to time. Better pictures on the way!

According to this article from the Cape Breton Post, the snow won't let up until sometime tomorrow. On that note, I'm going to curl up in my warm bed and watch the flurries out my window. Prayers for Arizona and Queensland, and everyone in the Midwest: drive safely!

Love,
Maggie

7 comments:

  1. Hee, that line is from White Christmas, isn't it. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wiped a tear of joy from my eye. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the name of the song from White Christmas is "Snow".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to weigh in with White Christmas too. I could sing it if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's "Snow!" I have a version of that song with Rosemary Clooney.

    And, Maggie, that all looks really pretty and dramatic. :) (This is Ara from Sheroes, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what that's from? It's shameful that I have not memorized the works of Bing Crosby.

    ReplyDelete