Monday, March 7, 2011

One of those really great weekends.

So great that it needs to be chronicled.

While we were in Halifax, Stephen Morris and I discovered that we share a love for bleu cheese, an uncommon love on the Cape. From this was born the idea that we would cook something bleu-cheesy together, and from this was born The Potluck.

On Saturday night, we gathered at Maile's apartment for an evening of food, friends, fiddles, and fun. Everyone brought a dish that somehow included cheese, and we ate ourselves sick.

Some of the dishes include:
  • Cheese pockets (Jaime)
  • Bleu macaroni and cheese (Stephen)
  • Spinach and strawberry salad (Steven)
  • Casserole (Julie)
  • Cheesecake (Dan)
  • Bean dip (Becca)
  • Cheese and crackers (Maile)
This is my dish: raspberry walnut baked brie. The recipe can be found here. It was very pretty before I put it in the oven. But when I put it in the oven...

...this happened. I guess I didn't seal my puff pastry well enough, because the brie came pouring out the sides like a much more delicious biblical deluge. Ah well. It was still absolutely delicious and disappeared pretty quickly. Actually, all of the food was really spectacular, but the best part of the night was the music.

Maile and Dan are both accomplished fiddle players and decided to serenade us with some music toward the end of the evening. I'm not going to pretend like I remember the names of the songs they played, but fiddle music is among the most wonderful in the world.

Maile has been playing the violin since the age of seven and started learning the fiddle when she was ten. She was in a performance group for several years in high school and performs regularly at a local pub with Dan.

I don't know Dan's fiddle history, so I cannot chronicle it for you. Suffice to say he is very, very talented. At some point, my hope is to get a video of the two of them playing, just so all of my lovely readers can enjoy the music.

After the cheese potluck, I spent a few hours laughing and chatting with some friends in Harriss. Names you may remember: Tim, Devon, Eric, Rob. The usual folk. It wasn't a particularly remarkable weekend in terms of exoticism, but the people-time was fantastic.

Today, I have two presentations to give and will meet with a professor later to discuss fall's classes. That's right, folks: today may be the day in which I learn whether or not I can stay for another semester.

Keep your fingers crossed, and keep reading!

Love,
Maggie

1 comment: